Are you a woodturner, and you have always been looking for how to prevent water from penetrating the wood and destroying it? Have you always wanted to give your woodwork nice finishing touches that will beautify and at the same time preserve the quality of the woods? Well, worry no more because this article will explain in detail how you can prevent moisture from seeping into woods and how you can give woods an excellent finish.
This article will discuss all there is to know about wood finishing with wax and Penetrol. Also, we will talk about all things concerning wax as well as Penetrol. We will also talk about whether or not wax can be used over Penetrol. We shall also discuss some secret technologies you will want to know as a wood finisher.
Wax is seen as the classic finish for woods. It has been used over the years to improve the looks of wooden objects and it makes the wood resistant to stains. Waxes are made from natural materials. They give the wood a lovely, beautiful, and silky finish
There are several benefits of wax as a finish. These benefits include:
- It can be applied over oil orFrench polish to form a protective layer on it.
- It is easy to maintain, and it can easily be reapplied in any affected area.
- It can be used directly on bare wood
Note, however, that a wax finish is not as durable as other wood finishes. Therefore, there is a need to maintain it regularly. Maintaining a wax finish is, however, very simple. All you need to do is to re-wax.
Also, note that wax finishes are not compatible with high water areas. So it is not advisable to use wax finishes on boats, and if it is necessary to coat with wax, you can use an oil finish that will serve as a protection against water.
How to apply wax on wood surfaces
Using a wax finish on the wood is easy and does not require much technical work before you can get it done. In this aspect of the article, we shall discuss applying waxes on the wood surface.
- Step 1- Sand the surface of the wood slightly if you are using the wax as a sealant. But if you are using it as polish, all you need to do is clean the piece’s surface very well.
- Step 2 – Use a piece of soft cotton or cheese cloths to take the wax from the container.
- Step 3 – Gently rub the paste wax in a circular motion on the surface of the wood until you have covered the entire surface.
- Step 4 – Wait for about 20-30 minutes for the wax to dry a bit.
- Step 5 – Then use a dry cloth to wipe the surface of the wood so that you can wipe excess wax off
- Step 6 – Wait for 24 hours before applying another layer of wax.
Benefits of wax
- It is easy to use
- It is not prone to smearing when applying it
- It can help to fill in marks and scratches that can be on the wood
- It also beautifies and improves the appearance of the wood
Penetrol is a wood oil that beautifies and protects the wood. It is a colorless and non-toxic substance that has a pleasant smell. The Penetrol wood oil is user-friendly, and it is also eco-friendly. It does not affect the environment, and it also protects the wood from termites and other insects that might want to destroy it.
Unlike other finishes, the Penetrol does not just stay on the wood but penetrates and is absorbed into the wood. It is absorbed deeply into the wood, and it prevents harmful solvents from penetrating and destroying the wood. It protects wood from decaying, and it also ends warping and splitting.
Penetrol finish lasts for many years, and when it eventually fades, all you need to do is reapply another coat. Penetrol protects the wood from any form of moisture attack and ensures a firm adherence to other coats of finish or paints. It can also help to restore the damage caused by the sun. It helps to restore life to damaged and faded woods. It can also be used to prevent rust and oxidation.
Penetrol is suitable for wet areas as it prevents other moisture from getting absorbed into the wood, so it is essential to use Penetrol when coating a boat.
How to apply Penetrol on wood
- Clean the surface of the wood and wait till it dries
- After the surface of the wood has dried, apply the Penetrol with the use of cloth
- While applying, move the cloth in a circular motion and ensure that the fabric is adequately soaked in Penetrol to ensure a perfect coating
- Do not step on the coated area for any reason, as this will show a footprint once the Penetrol dries off.
- If you need to apply another round of coating, it is essential to wait for 24 hours until the previous coat cures completely.
Can You Wax Over Penetrol?
Yes! It is possible to wax over Penetrol. You can wax over most types of coating, be it oil coating or paints. Once you coat the wood with Penetrol, you should wait for about 24 hours to let it dry off before putting a coat of wax over it. However, it is necessary to conduct a test on an area to make sure you like the outcome before proceeding with the whole project.
Waxing Over Penetrol: What Does It Entail?
Waxing over Penetrol is not a difficult thing to do. All you need to do is make sure you apply the Penetrol adequately. See the steps above to know how you can easily use Penetrol.
Once you apply Penetrol, you will have to wait for 24 hours to ensure that the wood has completely absorbed the Penetrol and that the Penetrol is completely dry.
After you have ensured that the Penetrol is well applied and dry, you can apply the wax on the wood. There is also a step-by-step guide in the previous section on how to wax on wood effectively.
Waxing over Penetrol will add to the aesthetics of the wood or furniture and protect the wood from insects and moisture that can cause the wood to decay.
When it is done properly, not only will it make the piece of furniture more beautiful, but it will also protect the wood from dust, debris, scratches, etc.
Although we have discussed how to wax previously, it is important to note that some waxing techniques can make the work easier and help achieve the best possible outcome.
- Get a wax that matches the color of the wood or the existing finish that is on the wood.
- Apply the wax with a neat cloth
- Place your focus on working with the grain while applying it in a circular motion.
- It cannot be overemphasized that it is important to wait for 24 hours before applying another layer of wax
- Also, ensure that your workshop is not dusty while waxing so that the wax will not pack up dirt.
- Buff the surface of the waxed furniture to make it shiny.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take Penetrol to dry?
It only takes about 24 hours for Penetrol to dry out completely.
How long does it take for the wax to dry?
It takes a maximum of 24 hours for a piece of furniture that is coated with wax to dry. However, some products take less time to dry; for the waxes that take less, the time taken for them to dry is written on the container.
Can Penetrol be used alone?
Penetrol can be used alone and can also be used with other types of finish like wax, oil, etc.
Can wax be used alone?
Wax can be used to coat a piece of furniture alone as it can also be used with other wood finishes.
How long does a Penetrol coating last?
Penetrol coating can last for many years as long as it is maintained well.
Can a piece of furniture be coated with Penetrol then with wax?
Yes, you can coat just a piece of wood will both Penetrol and wax. But you have to do this according to simple rules given above.
How long will waxing over Penetrol last?
As long as it is properly maintained, a piece of furniture that is coated with Penetrol and wax will last for many years. It should last longer than furniture that is only coated with some other finish.
Wax can be used over Penetrol as a wood finish. It gives it a beautiful, lustrous, and unique look and feel once it is done properly. It also prevents moisture from seeping into the wood, thereby prolonging the lifespan of the furniture. It is important to do a test run before applying the finish on the whole surface of the wood. This is so that you can be sure that you like the outcome.