A good metal paint job depends almost entirely on thorough preparation. Failing to prepare the metal surface well can negatively affect the result of the paint job. When this happens, you may have to do with a bad paint job or strip it down again for a redo.
Degreasing is one of the most important prepping procedures to get a thoroughly clean metal surface ready for work. While there are many degreasers on the market, some stand out for their performance.
This article has our top three best degreasers you need to try for your next metal paint job if you want perfect results. It also discusses other important concerns about degreasing that can help you get the best results.
Read on to find out more.
Degreasing Metal Before Painting
Using a degreaser is one of the most important steps to preparing your metal for successfully applying your primer, base, and top coats. If the surface is not performing adhering to the paint correctly or the job ends up wacky, there is a 90% chance that you did not take the time to prep the metal surface well.
Perhaps the first thing you need to know about a well-prepped metal surface is that it will be water-break-free. This is an expression by auto spray technicians that when you pour water on the metal, it will have an unbroken thin film of water spread all over it.
But when an inadequately prepped surface usually has beads of water on it that runs off instead of a thin film of water. This evidence of the metal surface’s inability to support a thin film of water is how you know when your metal has been properly degreased and prepped before painting.
Again, the first step to cleaning the contaminants is degreasing. Make sure to read the instructions on the product you are using, as some have tips that can help you get better results.
You want to wipe down the metal first. Ensure to apply heavy pressure as you wipe the metal surface down. Apply with such pressure as though you were buffing wax in a car.
After wiping the metal surface dry, vigorously wipe the metal surface down again with any of the three products above.
You can rinse the metal surface under distilled or deionized water to test. Although you can use tap water if deionized water is unavailable, tap water is not recommended. The metal should have unbroken water break-free surface. The water should make a thin film on the metal and remain on the surface without beading up for at least 30 seconds.
If this is not the case, dry the metal surface and repeat the procedure. It would be best to ensure that the metal is dry before applying your coatings over it.
Top 3 of Our Choices
The first step to prepping metal is degreasing the metal. There are many DIY methods to do this. But an excellent way to degrease metal before painting on it is to use a reliable degreasing product.
The market is full of degreasing products. However, here are some of our top picks. Check them out.
These products are guaranteed to make your prepping easier, faster, and better.
1. Simple Green 13005CT Industrial Cleaner and Degreaser
This is your go-to item if you are looking for a product that can remove tough stains and give your home a nice fragrance. If you have just gotten a place that requires a lot of cleaning, a simple green 1300CT industrial cleaner and degreaser will help make it new and sparkling.
It is carefully formulated to be non-toxic, non-corrosive, and non-abrasive. This makes it tough on dirt and grease but mild on the surface material it is applied on. You can dilute a little quantity of this concentrate with water in a bowl, then clean dirt from surfaces with it using a towel or brush. You can also use this cleaner straight without diluting. This product is not formulated for manual use alone. You can use it with cleaning equipment such as dip tanks, steam extractors, pressure washers, etc.
- It is a concentrated industrial cleaner and degreaser that works for all-purpose cleaning.
- Simple green 1300CT contains a sassafras scent that deodorizes the surfaces it is applied on.
- It is biodegradable, which makes this product eco-friendly.
- It is non-toxic, non-flammable, and non-abrasive.
- This cleaning product does not contain petroleum distillate.
- It has a pH level that is between 9.3 and 9.5, which is mild.
- It can be used for federally inspected meat and poultry plants because it has been certified by USDA.
- This powerful cleaning product comes in a container with a dimension of 11.7 x 5.9 x 5.9″.
- It weighs 8.85 pounds.
- It is non-toxic, non-inflammable, biodegradable, and non-abrasive.
- It cleanses tough grease surfaces, oils, residue on equipment, and all tough stains in general.
- It is great for food processing, transportation, manufacturing, automotive, engineering, and janitorial industries.
- It has a 4-star review on Amazon
- It gives off a pleasant smell after use.
2. Origenz Natural Grease Extreme Degreaser
Your stove is sure to be sparkling and free of grease and oil smears with Origenz natural grease extreme degreaser. This product has been carefully formulated to cut through grease and tough stains. It is non-toxic and also non-acidic. If you are worried about its effect on the environment, the good news is that it is eco-friendly. Also, it can easily fit into your travel pack because it weighs only 2.1 pounds.
- It is formulated to easily cut through grease, oils, and other tough stains.
- It is non-toxic, non-acidic, biodegradable, and eco-friendly.
- Degreaser concentrate comes in bottles with dimensions 14.13 x 11.25 x 10.88″.
- It is easy to carry because it weighs about 2.1 pounds only.
- It has customer review ratings of 5 stars out of 5 on Amazon.
- It is rated among best-selling household cleaning products.
- Degreaser concentrate can be used for aircraft and marine equipment in enclosed areas.
- It can remove deposits that are left by hard water.
- You need to wait for about 2 to 5 minutes after applying degreaser concentrate for dried-up grease before cleaning.
- It can cause serious damage to the eyes. So, it is advisable to wear protective goggles when working with degreaser concentrate.
3. CRC Marine Pro-Strength Degreaser
Spray on and wipe off! These are all the processes involved in its usage. You do not need to worry about diluting it with water or using it straight. Marine pro-strength degreaser is formulated to remove tough stains, grease, and oils. It is manufactured for both indoor and outdoor use.
- CRC marine pro-strength degreaser is manufactured to cut through grease, oils, and tough stains.
- It is made with a water-based foaming formula, which makes it tough on dirt.
- It is biodegradable.
- It comes in a bottle with the dimension 5.75 x 2.76 x 2.68.
- As its name implies, it is great for cleaning marine equipment and machinery parts in enclosed and outdoor areas.
- It weighs only about 14 once, which is about 0.45kg. It is very easy to carry.
- It cleanses perfectly stainless steel and metallic parts.
- This degreaser is eco-friendly because it is biodegradable.
- It is easy to use because all the steps involved are spraying the dirty surface and wiping it off.
- It can fit easily into small spaces because of its lightweight.
- Diluting before use is not required.
- It comes with automotive greases.
Tips for Degreasing Metal Before Painting
- Check out the nature of the metal you intend to degrease. This will greatly affect your choice of degreasing and cleaning products for it.
- Look for the best degreaser for your metallic surface. While some metals can easily be cleaned with soap and water, others may require specially manufactured degreasers for metallic surfaces.
- Wipe your metal with vinegar. It doesn’t matter if you just cleaned it with soap. Vinegar helps to remove dirt and also makes paints adhere better to metallic surfaces.
- Avoid using lubricants. It won’t allow paints to adhere perfectly to metallic surfaces.
- Choose biodegradable cleaners and degreasers to help save the environment.
Many factors go into consideration when deciding which degreasing product to use. This is because you want to get the best product and absolute value for your money. To get the best, it is recommended that you get an all-purpose cleaning degreaser.
But at other times, you may need to get a specific product for the kind of metal that you want to work on.
Whether you buy a product tailored to your specific needs or an all-purpose product, looking carefully at the product’s features can help you make the best decision.
Among things to look out for are its usability in enclosed areas and safety tips.
Also, it would be best to choose biodegradable products certified as environmentally friendly. Environmentally friendly products help lessen the pollution on earth.
- 2K Clear Coat Cure Time and Some Tips for Best Results - October 3, 2022
- Is Clear Coat over Oil-Based Paint a Good Idea or Not? - October 3, 2022
- Cloudy Clear Coat after Polishing – What’s Wrong? - October 2, 2022